History of Aalborg University
Aalborg University was created through a merger of a number of well-established institutions, combined with the establishment of a number of new faculties in 1974.
Aalborg University's oldest study programme dates back to 1768 when the land management and cadastral development programme was first established. Other institutions included in Aalborg University were the Aalborg Regional Business School, established in 1920, the Danish Building Research Institute, established in 1947, Esbjerg Technical College, established in 1955, Aalborg Technical College, established in 1963, the School of Social Work in Aalborg, established in 1966, Denmark’s Academy of Engineering in Aalborg, established in 1967 and the Copenhagen Business School, Aalborg Regional Department, established in 1969.
Aalborg University Centre was inaugurated in 1974, and a Faculty of Humanities, a Faculty of Social Sciences and a Faculty of Engineering and Science were established. In 1994 the university changed its name to Aalborg University.
In 1966, the Department of Architecture and Design was established, in 2008 the Department of Law was established, and in 2010 a Faculty of Medicine was established.
From the very beginning, Aalborg University was characterised by its well-reputed education form of problem based project work – also known as the Aalborg model, and by extensive collaboration with the surrounding society. Later on, the establishment of strong research fields has been added, some of which are in the international class. The number of students has increased from 3,000 during the first years of the university to the present 15,000.