The Academic Ranking of Word Universities (ARWU) is a ranking list of the world’s top 500 universities. The list is published annually by the Center for World-Class Universities and The Institute of Higher Education of Shanghai Jiao Tong University in China. Each year they also publish subject rankings and academic field rankings of the world’s top 200 universities.
The ranking list is based on six indicators that are divided into four groups:
- Number of publications in the journals Nature and Science – weight 20%
- Number of publications in Science Citation Index-expanded and Social Science Citation Index – weight 20%
Quality of faculty
- Highly cited researcher in 21 broad subject categories – weight 20%
- Staff of an institution winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals – weight 20%
Quality of education
- Alumni of an institution winning Nobel Prizes and Field Medals – weight 10%
Per Captia Performance
- Per captia academic performance of an institution – weight 10%
Academic field rankings are available for:
- Natural Science & Mathematics
- Engineering/Technology & Computer Sciences
- Life & Agricultural Sciences
- Clinical Medicine & Pharmacy
- Social Sciences
Subject rankings are available for:
- Computer Science
Aalborg University holds a place in the rankings since 2014.
The ranking list was first published in 2003. The bibliometric data is extracted from Web of Science (Thomson Reuters).