The Master's programme in Chemistry offers courses, experimental laboratory work, and project oriented group work. You will gain thorough knowledge of the fundamental aspects of chemistry while also exploring contemporary issues, modern research and technology.
Work with for example:
- Materials chemistry
- Processing of materials
- Polymer chemistry
- Supramolecular chemistry
- Carbohydrate chemistry
In the first two semesters, you split your time equally between three 5 ECTS courses and one 15 ECTS project. The courses will provide you with the basic knowledge, and the projects will allow you to immerse yourself into topics that interest you most.
The study programmes at AAU are based on problem based learning and project work. This gives you a unique opportunity to acquire new knowledge and competences at a high academic level in an independent manner. You get to apply theory to practice in your semester projects, which will prepare you better for your future career.
On the first semester, you will work with the production and process of materials. You will for example explore the materials of the future.
- Materials Chemistry (5 ECTS)
- Processing of Materials (5 ECTS)
- Physical Chemistry of Materials (5 ECTS)
- Materials Technology (15 ECTS)
examples of pROJEcT topics
- Characterisation and optimisation of Rockwool fibers
- Alkali-resistant glass fibers for fiber-cement production
On the second semester, you focus on the design and production of natural and synthetic polymers, which are used in e.g. the medical industry.
- Polymer Chemistry (5 ECTS)
- Supramolecular Chemistry (5 ECTS)
- Carbohydrate Chemistry (5 ECTS)
- Industrial Applications of Macromolecules (15 ECTS)
examples of pROJEcT topics
- Design and synthesis of short peptide-cyclodextrin hybrid oligomers for improved binding properties to protein interfaces
- Donor polymers for photovoltaic cells
During the third semester, you have different options to earn the required 30 ECTS:
- You can do an internship in Denmark or abroad, where you take part in the day-to-day operations in the business. During the internship, you will write a project about one or more of your tasks during the process
- You can study a semester at another educational institution abroad or in Denmark
- You can do a regular semester at AAU with courses and project work
- You can begin your Master’s thesis, so your work is spread out over both your 3rd and 4th semester
Aalborg University has collaboration agreements with universities around the world, and the programme’s research environment has a wide range of internship contacts.
Find out more about studying abroad and internships here.
On the fourth semester, you write your Master’s thesis, where you draw on all the knowledge, experience and skills you have acquired during your studies. Depending on your topic choice, the thesis will be in the nature of developmental work, further development, or actual research.
- Topic of own choice (30 ECTS)
example of thesis topic
- Investigating if osmotic effects explain the influence of sodium chloride upon the filtration characteristics of polyacrylic acid
Take a virtual tour of our laboratories