The specialisation in Operations and Supply Chain Management teaches you about topics such as production and quality management, supply chain management and information technology.
You will for example explore:
- Operations management
- Development of quality, risk and project management systems
- Flexible manufacturing
- Supply chain systems
- Business intelligence and analytics
The teaching combines lectures and project work. On your first two semesters, you divide your time equally between courses and project work. Each semester has an overall theme and within this theme, you conduct a semester project with your project group, where you investigate and attempt to solve a relevant issue within your field of study.
The study programmes at AAU are based on problem based learning and project work, which gives you a unique opportunity to acquire new knowledge and competences at a high academic level in an independent manner. You get to apply theory to practice in your semester projects, which will prepare you better for your future career.
Interaction with the business community makes up a significant part of the study programme, which is why you are encouraged to carry out one or more semester projects in collaboration with external companies and organisations. This gives you an exceptional opportunity to combine theory and practice. Furthermore, many of the courses include practical assignments and business game.
The semester project on your first semester focuses on improvement of a company’s production, logistics and business systems. You will base your investigations on an analysis of process and use of resources in the company’s business and manufacturing processes. The project work must include testing of different ideas for improvement, which could be in form of for instance simulation models. The tested processes are then to be evaluated with regard to organisation and management so they can be part of a development and implementation strategy for the company.
- Advanced Operations Management (5 ECTS)
- Development of Quality, Risk, and Project Management Systems 1 (5 ECTS)
- Flexible Manufacturing (5 ECTS)
- Operations Management (15 ECTS)
On the second semester, you will investigate how to improve a company’s competitiveness through strengthened collaboration with clients and suppliers in the supply chain. The improvements can be e.g. shorter delivery time or a higher degree of customisation. The solutions may be achieved by improving control in the supply chain or adjusting product and production structures.
- Manufacturing and Supply Chain Systems (5 ECTS)
- Business Intelligence and Analytics (5 ECTS)
- Development of Quality, Risk, and Project Management Systems 2 (5 ECTS)
- Supply Chain Operations (15 ECTS)
During the third semester, you have different options to earn the required 30 ECTS:
- You can do an internship in Denmark or abroad, where you take part in the day-to-day operations in the business. During the internship, you will write a project about one or more of your tasks during the process
- You can study a semester at another educational institution abroad or in Denmark
- You can do a regular semester at AAU with courses and project work
- You can begin your Master’s thesis, so your work is spread out over both your 3rd and 4th semester
Aalborg University has collaboration agreements with universities around the world, and the programme’s research environment has a wide range of internship contacts.
Find out more about studying abroad and internships here.
On the fourth semester, you write your Master’s thesis, where you draw on all the knowledge, experience and skills you have acquired during your studies. Depending on your topic choice, the thesis will be in the nature of developmental work, further development, or actual research.
- Topic of own choice (30 ECTS)