The master's programme is divided into four semesters running respectively from September to January and from February to June (January and June partly reserved for exams). Thus, students will typically complete the programme in 2 years.
Each semester in Urban Design is sub divided into three or four course modules and one project module. All courses are conducted in English.
1st semester - Sustainable Urban Transformation and Sustainable Engineering Techniques
The theme of the 1st semester is the contemporary network city covering a range from urban mobility systems and their relation to the city to urban spaces and their linkages to the transit network or large scale urban architecture and transit terminals and their function as urban flow spaces.
- Project - Urban Transformation and Sustainable Engineering Techniques (15 ECTS)
- Course - Constructing and Designing Performative Urban Environments (10 ECTS)
- Course - Climate and hydrology of the dense city (5 ECTS)
2nd semester -Designing Urban Mobility
The theme of the 2nd semester is the complex and multi-layered fabric of contemporary cities in transformation. Emphasis is on the role of urban design in the transformation process from the functional planned city to more experience based urban design strategies.
You must choose between the following projects:
- Designing for Urban Mobility(15 ECTS)
- Mobilities: Place and Culture (15 ECTS)
On 2nd semester, you also choose between the following options:
- Simulating and Modeling Urban Flows (5 ECTS)
- Theories of the Network City and its Technologies (5 ECTS)
- Site Morphology and Landscape Techniques (5 ECTS)
- Mobilities: Policy, Branding and Place Management 5 (ECTS)
- Mobilities and Tracking technologies (5 ECTS)
- Mobile Culture and Communication (5 ECTS)
- Mobilities Design: Concept and Diagram (5 ECTS)
3rd semester - Global Challenges and Urban Technologies(Professional Development)
The theme of the 3rd semester is urban design strategies and architectural qualities specific to Scandinavian urban design and urban architecture. Secondary focus is the Welfare City and the Scandinavian tradition in city planning and design with a perspective of best practice as well as a critical understanding of its challenges.
On 3rd semester, you must choose between following options:
- Project - Global Challenges and Urban Technologies
- Courses - Project, Design and Construction Management in Architecture and Urban Design
- Courses - Academic writing
- Course - Methodology and Theories of Science
- Project - Sustainable Mobilities
- Academic Paper Writing
- Mobilities Design: Visualisation and Representation (elective)
- Sustainable Mobilities Infrastructures and Technology (elective)
- Academic Internship
- Academic Paper Writing
3) Study at another University (30 ECTS)
4) Long Master’s Thesis (+30 ECTS)
4th semester - Master's Thesis
The 4th semester is the master thesis. The student is to make a project as an experimental, empirical, technological/engineering and/or theoretical investigation of one or more central issues within the field of urban design.
- Master’s Thesis