The Master's specialisation in Offshore Energy Systems offers you advanced competencies in design, analysis and modelling of offshore energy systems and the system component interaction. You get to work with fluid mechanics and flow systems, such as CFD and multiphase flows, fluid power and mechanical systems, together with control, optimisation and diagnosis of offshore energy systems.
Teaching takes place in an innovative and dynamic environment. You will experience courses, problem based project work and a high degree of interaction with industrial partners and energy supply companies. Companies play an active part in the project work, and they provide guest lecturers and arrange company visits for students. All of this provides you with an excellent opportunity to build a network in the industrial world before graduation.
content of the study programme
During the MSc specialisation in Offshore Energy Systems (OES), you will study technologies related to all different kinds of energy systems such as offshore wind turbines and oil rigs, wave energy, etc.
The specialisation gives you insight into various technologies for energy transfer, harvesting and control of offshore energy systems. Moreover, you gain knowledge of how to design, analyse and model mechanical systems, fluid power systems and electrical systems with complex dynamics and elements with non-linear behaviour.
The objectives of the Offshore Energy Systems MSc syllabus are:
- General understanding of the design, modelling and optimisation of energy systems used in various offshore energy applications
- Understanding the detailed operation, functionality and interaction between the various components of offshore energy systems
- Detailed insight into systems integration with respect to both systems efficiency and control engineering aspects of offshore energy systems
- Developing, constructing and operating offshore energy systems in the laboratory and in real applications
- Insight into the topics related to the practical realisation and implementation of offshore energy systems concerning both innovative aspects, business planning and economical considerations.
You will study topics like
- How to analyse and design subsystems for offshore wind turbines
- How to model complex offshore energy systems
How to develop advanced control algorithms for offshore energy systems
RATED FOR EXCELLENCE
Aalborg University is rated for excellence in the QS ranking system. Aalborg University has received five stars certifying the world-class position of the university, based on cutting-edge facilities and internationally renowned research and teaching faculty. Within Engineering and Technology, Aalborg University ranks as number 79 in the world in the QS system. Likewise, in the Shanghai Ranking system, Aalborg University's engineering and technology programmes are ranked among the top 100 in the world.
PROBLEM BASED LEARNING (PBL)
Aalborg University is famous for its problem based learning, where you work in a team on a large written assignment often collaborating with an industrial partner. This study method is also called “The Aalborg Model for Problem Based Learning”. The method is highly recognised internationally, and the university is host to a succesful UNESCO chair in Problem Based Learning in Engineering Education and a Centre for PBL and Sustainability approved by UNESCO.
The problem based project work at Aalborg University gives you a unique opportunity to acquire new knowledge and competences at a high academic level in an independent manner. You get to apply theory to practice when you work to solve real-life problems, and you will be well-prepared for your future career.