In the future, it is also expected that a lot of new small wind turbines will be installed, maybe as plug and play units at household level. These wind turbines could be both vertical and horizontal axis turbines. This will provide many new challenges for wind power engineers in the future. The MSc programme in Wind Power Systems addresses many of these topics related to this area.
The MSc specialisation in Wind Power System (WPS) focuses on the electrical aspects of wind power systems, ensuring an excellent education in subjects such as generators, power electronics, control engineering and power system technology related to wind power applications. This will provide an excellent background for engineering employment in the wind industry.
You will study topics like
- How do we ensure electric network stability when a large wind turbine is connected to the system?
- Should direct current (DC) or alternating current (AC) transmission be applied in offshore wind parks of the future?
- What type of generator provides the highest efficiency in a given application?
- How can a wind turbine be protected against lightning?
- How do you design a micro electricity supply network comprising a wind turbine, energy storage and loads?
Rated for excellence
Aalborg University is rated for excellence in the QS-ranking system. Aalborg University has received five stars certifying the world-class position of the university based on cutting-edge facilities and internationally renowned research and teaching faculty.
Within Engineering and Technology, Aalborg University ranked as number 76 in 2015/2016.
Problem based learning (PBL)
Aalborg University is famous for its problem based learning, where you work in a team on a large written assignment often collaborating with an industrial partner. This study method is also called “The Aalborg Model for problem based learning”. The method is highly recognised internationally, and UNESCO has placed its only professorial chair in PBL at Aalborg University.
The problem based project work at Aalborg University gives you a unique opportunity to acquire new knowledge and competences at a high academic level in an independent manner.