AAU logo

SU at Aalborg University

If you are a foreign citizen, you must fulfil specific conditions in order to be granted equal status with Danish citizens and receive state educational grant (SU).

Normally, you must be a Danish citizen to be entitled to SU. If you are a foreign citizen, however, you have the possibility of applying for equal status with Danish citizens and thus being approved to receive SU.

Applying for equal status under Danish or EU rules?

In general, there are two sets of rules according to which you can apply for equal status: Danish rules or the rules of EU law.

Depending on the rules under which you apply, there are different conditions that you must fulfil: 


questions about equal status?

Please contact the Danish Agency for Higher Education directly.

How to apply for SU

If you want to apply for SU you have to fill out an application form at su.dk via the online system minSU ("my SU").

You also have to complete a "special information form" for foreign citizens. The form pops up when when registering that you are not a Danish citizen.

Please send the following to AAU SU Office via email or post:

  • The "Information form" from minSU
  • Documentation, e.g. work contract

Your application will then be registered and forwarded to the Danish Agency for Higher Education.

Please note that it can take up to several weeks before you receive an answer from the Danish Agency for Higher Education. The answer will be sent to you via Digital Post. 

The Danish Agency for Higher Education handles all applications on equal status for SU.

EU citizens under employment in Denmark

We get a lot of inquiries from EU citizens who want to apply for SU as EU-workers. Here is a list of things you should be aware of:

  • You must be under employment 10-12 hours a week, which in effect means at least 10 hours a week and at least 43 a month.

  • Your job must be continuous. This means that meeting the requirements for one month only is not enough. You must present a contract.

  • Internships do not count as work.

  • If you change jobs, you must present your new contract to the Danish Agency for Higher Education.

  • You are entitled to six weeks of paid vacation per year. If you have taken vacation, you must send a sworn statement from your employer. The statement should document that you have taken vacation in accordance with the Vacations Act’s (ferieloven) rules, or you can send print from FerieKonto documenting the vacation period.

  • The Danish Agency for Higher Education checks how much you have worked each month. This means that by not fulfilling the requirements for hours and pay for a few months you risk being charged with repaying your SU.

Public transportation pass - "Ungdomskort"

As a student at Aalborg University, you can obtain a public transportation pass known as "Ungdomskort" (Youth Pass). Use the pass throughout the Northern Denmark ticket rate region, and receive discounts on the price of your travel in Denmark in general.